(up-dated 17/Mar./2014)


Tooth #4, (back)   Tooth #4, (front)

Tooth #4 = 4.5 cm. long, by 3.7 cm. wide.

  Tooth #4, drilled (back)

    Tooth #4, drilled (front)

Grinding tooth #4, took 6 minutes-44 seconds, and notching it took 1 minute-40 seconds. Total tooth prep time was: 16 minutes-28 seconds. Drilling the walnut club to accept tooth #4 - 4 minutes-43 seconds.

  Front     Back

Tooth #5, (back)  Tooth #5, (front)

Tooth #5 = 5.1 cm. long, by 3.9 cm. wide.

  Tooth #5, after drilling, (back)

   Tooth #5, after drilling, (front)

Grinding tooth #5 took, 5 minutes-6 seconds, and notching it took 1minute-23 seconds. Total tooth prep time: 9 minutes-46 seconds. The walnut club, took 10 minutes-51 seconds to drill, for tooth #5.


    The chert micro-drill, used to drill tooth #5.

  The antler chisel, used to mortise the walnut club, to accept the shark's teeth.

   Drilling the walnut club with a chert micro-drill.   The drill for tooth #5 broke off.

  The dogbane, ready for cordage.

   After scraping off the outer layer, and smashing the dogbane into quarter-sections, the fiber-separation process is started. The fibers are pulled away from the chaff, in about 2-inch increments. Then, the chaff, is snapped downward and removed.     This process is kept up until the entire dogbane shaft has been processed. After that, the dogbane is twisted into two-ply cordage, before it is used to tie on the drilled shark's tooth onto drilled the walnut club.

My impromptu pitch heater consists of two tin cans. One is cut to act as the base and let air through to the candle, underneath. The other is simply a "pot" to hold the heated pine pitch mixed with elk and rabbit dung.

  I found I was able to melt the pitch very evenly by using a cheap soldering iron, so I kept that handy, too.

          After gluing the teeth into position, they were tied to the club, with the dogbane cordage.

  front w/scale back w/scale

  front no scale   back no scale

  The finished great white shark's tooth club!